notes on ORNL target meeting Sept.2004 written by AF
- AF presented the preliminary minutes by the research board on the
- Research board lacks mainly of information! why is it relevant to
CERN? Safety must be confirmed, especially radiation! An official
statement by the relevant community to run and finance the experiment!
http://proj-hiptarget.web.cern.ch , where all relevant
information can be found
- mercury loop
- how much does the jet position jet changes at center line, if you
vary the velocity from 10 to 20 m/s?
- contact the English/Russian on MHD guy to estimate the impact of the
mercury flow within the solenoid for the proposed layout by Mark.
- how much space is really available for beam attenuator and
solenoid/target along the beam line (see new file in layout)?
- Do we want a rail system for each the solenoid and the mercury loop?
Both systems are installed separately, but each fully assembled.
- How is the relative adjustment from solenoid and mercury loop done?
- We do not need the tilt system proposed by Mark.
- Physicists have to define relative tilt of beam, solenoid axes and
mercury jet? Do we install a NOMINAL jet target?!
- CASE0: magnetic and beam axis are horizontal, jet is moving up
at an angle of 34 mrad.
- CASE1: a horizontal beam, magnet axis pointing down by 66mrad
and jet by 344 mrad up, has advantage of collecting mercury back,
but impact on LN2 cooling of solenoid has to be verified.
- Can we use flexible hoses to compensate relative movement between
solenoid and mercury loop?
- We agree to design installation/operation and removal such, that no
breaking of the mercury loop is needed inside the TT2A tunnel.
- a certain pressure head is needed at the inlet. Cavitation can occur
there as well.
- We run the jet chamber at 1 atm Helium. Basta!
- the mercury loop heats up by 5K/min upon operation.
- the pump rotation is controlled at constant velocity operation.
needs programmable pump motor.
- camera read-out
|how many observation places, with one access side limited to 1 (2 with
|moveable mirror system excluded - too unstable|
|how about a plate of 100 cm^2 pixel read-out?|
|pump systems at Princeton|
|write-up of successful implementation of beam windows at e951 needed|
|what final date are we really aiming for as test beam time?|